Here are some moving tips to help make your move go as smoothly as possible and to help save a little money.
So you’ve decided to move to a new place. That’s not an easy decision to make! But you’ve done it! Congratulations! Moving to a new place always comes with a very particular set of challenges. It can be an overwhelming process so here are a couple of tips to make your next move stress free and a little less expensive.
1. Get Free Moving Boxes
So you know you need boxes, but where do you find them? Are you going to buy them (which is definitely not cheap)? Our advice on this is try to grab them for free.
There are many places where you can get free moving boxes:
- Ask around at work. Especially if you work in an office setting (print boxes are very sturdy!).
- Ask your friends and family.
- Ask at stores around town. Wal-Mart is a good place to start. Buy any grocery, liquor or dollar stores will have lots of boxes to recycle every day. Just make sure you call or go early in the morning before they recycle them for the day.
- Ask your local library. I know it’s one you never think about. But guess what? Most libraries get shipments of books (and printer paper) all of the time! Often times they’ll recycle these boxes. But if you are a regular at the library it is easy to let them know that you are in the market for some boxes. (They also might have old newspapers to get rid of. Great for packing!)
- Ask at bookstores. For the same reasons as the library!
- Search Craigslist and Freecycle. People are often trying to get rid of moving boxes and its usually free if you are willing to pick them up.
This is probably the hardest bit of advice to take. But it really will save you so much time, money and energy in the long run. Downsize! One great way to do this and make a little cash at the same time is to have a garage sale. You can either buy cheap signs or make them yourself. And there are plenty of free sites to advertise your sale (like Craiglist and Bookoo). But if that sounds like too big of a hassle, giving to a charity is always a great option. There are even some charities that will pick up your donations for free (like the Salvation Army)!
Well there you have it! Hope these tips help you make your next move as stress free and a little less expensive.
Good luck with your move!